Dynamic Number Insertion (DNI) is a call tracking feature where a unique phone number is tied to each of your clients in accordance with a dynamic pool of numbers.
Clever tracking code embedded in your website changes the phone number displayed depending on the lead source of the visitor. This gives you greater insights about your visitors, and also gives you useful insight tied back to Marketing Spend. This helps marketers analyze real contingent of clients and sources, where they come from.
The dynamic numbers also allow us to track the keyword level date (if caller is coming from Google Paid), and to gather all of the specific information about each session.
The way our dynamic numbers work is a different number in the pool is assigned to and displayed to each new visitor to the site - they're session based numbers. If you have more active visitors on your site then there are numbers in your pool, a number will be assigned to more than one visitor (opening you up to potential mis-attribution).
Add and Configure a dynamic number
Step 1: Click “+Add Number” button on the left side menu
Note: It's important that you are in the correct company. Please choose company from the drop down list prior to adding a new number (campaign). If you didn't create the company where you want to add the number, please do so prior to this step.
Step 2: Select the "Dynamic Numbers" tab
Step 3: Choose a Campaign Name
This is how we will refer to the tracking number in reports. Pick something that describes this campaign or source (examples: Website, Landing Page)
Step 4: Choose which traffic you want the dynamic number to swap out for.
- All Visitors - This will track every person who clicks onto your page (AdWords, Organic, Direct, etc.)
- Only Visitors Coming from Google AdWords - This will make it so the dynamic number only swaps when a visitor is coming from Google Paid
- Web Referrals From - This will track visitors coming from a specific site
- Contains UTM - This will track visitors coming from a specific URL with a UTM Source that is defined
- All Visitors Except Direct Traffic - Very similar to "All Visitors" except for direct traffic will not be recorded.
Step 5: Configure where the phone calls will be forwarded to / preferences.
- Forward Calls to - This will be the "Destination Number" or the number that you want to forward each of the tracked calls to.
- Add Call Flow - Use this button to add a custom call flow.
- Call Recording - Use this button to toggle call recording on / off.
- Play a Greeting to Callers - This button will allow you to set a custom greeting, or something standard such as "This call may be recorded for quality assurance."
- Play a Whisper Message - A whisper message would be played to the person answering the phone, giving them an indication of where the call is coming from.
- Show Caller ID - If this is toggled ON, the true caller ID's will be shown. If toggled OFF, the tracked number will appear as the caller ID
Step 6: Implementing the Number / Creating the Pool
- Number to Swap Out - This is the number that is currently on the site and/or landing page. PhoneWagon is going to search for this number on the page, and swap it out with the pool that is created.
- Use Toll-Free Numbers - You have the option to choose toll Free Numbers.
- Create a Pool of - The minimum amount of numbers to have in a dynamic pool is 1, but we recommend having at least 4 or more.
- Numbers with a (blank) area code - You can choose the specific area code that you would like the pool of numbers to be drawn from. Most of the time, you would use the same area code that the business is located in.
Step 7: Activate Number
When everything is set, click Activate Number in the bottom right of the screen.
After you save, a screen will pop up with the script that you need to place before the </body> tag of your website's source code.